John Nickelsen (1865-1950)

Back to Artistlist

John Nickelsen’s stained-glass workshop was established on the northern German island of Sylt. In 1903, Nickelsen opened a larger workshop in Hamburg that was called the Nordische Kunstanstalt für Glas-Decoration (Northern Art Institute for Glass Decoration). After his death, the workshop was taken over by his son Harro, whose son Gunmar closed the workshop in 1990, after nearly ninety years of operation.

There are very few traces of Nickelsen’s work, so the cinema windows of 1932 from the Hamburg Lichtspielbühne are important testimony of his activity as an artist.



John Nickelsen - WIKIPEDIA